25 October 2017 – Farm Visits
We will spend the day visiting 3 farmhouse cheesemakers around Graz, seeing their premises and tasting their products.
In the evening we will get together for a dinner at the School Alt Grottenhof, a vocational school for agriculture and forestry. Before dinner we can visit the farm and the dairy of the school.
Farm visits 2016 in Great Britain
Farm visits 2014 in the Netherlands
26 October 2017 – General Assembly and Workshop “Technology & Tasting”
In the morning all interested participants are welcome to join the Annual General Assembly of FACEnetwork. FACE council and FACE workgoups will present a summary of their lobbying actions, position papers and ongoing projects.
The afternoon sessions are dedicated to learn more about other european cheeses. In small groups four experts will guide you through traditional cheeses of their country. You will learn the main process steps and every workshop will end with a small cheese tasting.
In the evening we will get together for a dinner at the Steiermarkhof
Congress Opening Speech in Gouda 2014 by FACE President Frédéric Blanchard
Social dinner 2016 in Italy
27 October 2017 – 9th FACE Network Congress
The FACEnetwork Congress will offer a broad lecture program
covering the four following topics.
Session 1 -Artisan and Farmhouse Cheese and Dairy in Europe
- European Guide for Good Hygiene Practices in the production of artisanal cheese and dairy products (Kerstin Jürss, Sveriges Gårdsmejerister, Sweden)
- The EU Hygiene Package: Flexible application in Spain and France (María Remedios Carrasco Sánchez, QueRed, Spain & Estelle Boullu, FNEC, France)
Session 2 – Hygiene
- Prevention of unwanted gas formation in Berg- and Alpcheese – Actions necessary to ensure production of high quality milk (Dr. Bertram Stecher, Sennereiverband Südtirol, Italy)
- The Mathematics of Microbiological Sampling (explained simply for the non-scientists!) (Paul Thomas, Dairy Consultancy & Training, UK)
- How to control Pseudomonas in cheesemaking (Cecile Laithier, Institut de l’Elevage, France)
Session 3 – Technology
- Whey starters: How to produce ferments on the farm for alpine hard cheese (Christoph Kohn, Agroscope, Switzerland)
- Edible Coatings for Cheese: A field study in german farmhouse dairy (Insa Petersen, Molkereibedarf IP Ingredients GmbH, Germany)
Session 4 – Marketing
- Community-supported agriculture: An innovative way to fund your dairy (Klaus Tenthoff, Kattendorfer Hof, Germany)
- Brand strategy: How to develop new logo and new packaging (Bibs Hosak-Robb, Bibs Design Consultancy, Germany)
- The benefit of raw milk and full-fat dairy products (Prof. Dr. Ton Baars, FiBL, Switzerland)
The congress will be presented in German. Simultaneous translation (English-German and German-English) will be provided.
For lunch we will have a unique and delicious buffet of european cheeses. Delegates will be invited to bring cheeses from their own countries to share at the lunch on the day of the congress.
Poster Presentations outlinig the activities of FACE Network´s working groups and the farmhouse and artisan dairy structure of FACE-countries will be exhibited in a sector of the Entrance hall
In the afternoon, the winning entry in the video competition will be shown.
Lecture about “What makes british cheeses so special?” in Worksop 2016
Unique and delicious buffet of european farmhouse and artisan cheeses in Gouda 2014
Download of the Program